The latest word is that CDM2014 is more likely to be CDM2015 as it is unlikely that any change to legislation will come into force until April 2015 at the earliest. With an election in May 2015 it is possible that it may be an October 2015 enactment.
In brief we believe that the HSE may be proposing:
- Removal of the independent CDM Co-ordinator role and placing Design Phase health and safety co-ordination with a 'Principal Designer' (working title).
- Removal of the Appendix 4 Competence Assessment criteria.
- Placing construction phase co-ordination duties with the Principal Contractor.
- Full application of CDM Regulations to all projects with more than one contractor on site (including domestic projects).
- Placing client duties for domestic projects with the first appointee (architect or contractor).
We are now anticipating publication of their proposals in January 2014 with the consultation to follow during February March and April.